- Pray ... listening for God's leading, and discerning God's gifts for ministry in your life.
- Talk personally with your Team Leader before reaching a conclusion, sharing some of what is leading you into this time of discernment. Be as honest, open and vulnerable with God, and your Team Leader, as you can.
- It may be helpful to discuss it with others to assist in discernment, particularly the current participants.
- Determine whether you feel the ministry is either (a) no longer valid, or (b) you no longer feel called to lead that ministry.
- Once you’ve reached a decision, meet again with your Team Leader to share your conclusion.
If you deem the ministry is no longer valid (i.e. meeting a need, helping reach others with the love of Christ, or equipping disciples), notify the Team Leader. The Leader will notify the church office and Team Staff to remove it from the congregation's roster of ministries.
If you discern the ministry is valid and you believe it should continue with different leadership, you are encouraged to seek a new Leader, or two. Once accomplished, the new Leader will need to complete a "Ministry Description."
As you step down from ministry leadership, you are encouraged to do the following:
- Thank those who have served with you in this ministry, either privately, publicly, or both.
- Share a brief written summary of your experience in this ministry and as a leader, including joys/success, struggles/shortcomings, and insights that might help others in the future.